Sunday, May 30, 2010

A Day In The Life of a Nursing Assistant

A typical day started out by getting up at 8AM and planting some flowers in my yard and then cleaning the carpet in my living room and dinind room. Took a shower and went through the drive through for a sandwich on the way to work at 12:30PM because I hadn't eaten all day. I get to work and the off going shift tells me that it has been a pretty good day no big problems. The first thing I do is pass 2PM snacks. No one seems to want what I have so I go back and get everyone chocolate icecream. I only have 12 residents on my side and I am working with a nurse. During snacks one of my residents is yelling and confused and wants to go home. Nothing I do changes her mind so I place her in a wheelchair and put her in the lobby where I can see her and give her the news paper. Another resident is yelling nurse take me to the toilet. I do this and then pass my ice water. I take 3 pitchers out of a residents room and give her fresh ice water in a clean pitcher and she follos me around telling me someone took her glasses. No showers tonight so I go around emptying the trash and wiping off stands. The lady that was upset earlier is brought to me by the nurse and I am told she needs changed but she won't let the nurse take her. I take her to the bath room and she tells me she doesn't need to go she can do it her self. I assist her to the toilet where she does go to the toilet and I wash her and take her to her loung chair. In the mean time a resident is yelling nurse again and he wants fed. ( He is unable to eat he has a tube. The nurse feeds him and I take him to the couch and play ball with him. I then pass supper trays. After super I pick up trays and again the lady that was confused is scooting off her chair. One of the nurses volunters to sit with her outside. I also take out a couple of other residents. I then check the bathrooms and mop 2 of them because the floors are dirty. It is now 6:30PM and I am relieved by another NA because this is my day off. I am also the director of nursing and administrator and in between all the above met with a family about possible placement, did a residents treatment and fed a resident their tube feed before I went home. I only added this part because I want to point out that as I have said in earlier posts nursing homes do not work short. They make sure that all the care is provided and more regardless of what a persons title is. True team work can only happen if everyone in a facility is willing to help when needed. I am proud to work in a nursing home and I am very proud of the people I work with.

2 comments:

  1. I am proud of you mother, few could do the things that you do and this world is a better place because of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks son my only regret about my career was the time I missed being with my family

    ReplyDelete