Thursday, August 1, 2013

A difficult day

I have worked in the long term care business for a long time. I know you should never say that a day was the worst you ever had but I feel the need to describe a very difficult one. Most people don't have a clear understanding of the difficulties that a long term care manager has to deal with. My day started out by coming in the door and sitting down and an employee coming to the door and announcing that an employee quit with no notice and another did not show up for work. I tried to call the employee that did not show up and their voice mail was not set up on their phone. I then text them a message to call me. The employee text back and said she was moving and would not be back. I then met with a family that was bringing their loved one to our facility from a hospital that was not being very helpful to them. This took a considerable amount if time because I had to go over everything and took them on a tour. Next I had to start working on change over orders for the next month which started the next day. During this I was told that a family member would be there in 10 minutes that was upset with us and moving their loved one to another facility. That conversation took another 30 minutes. In those situations all you can do is explain what your facility did and say your sorry they feel that way. The only thing I wish could happen differently is that hospitals don't throw nursing homes under the bus. The doctor in the ER had told the family some things that I could not recover from. When families do not understand medical conditions it really makes a nursing home look bad. Ok I got to work at 9AM and it is now noon. Another family came in that were bringing a loved one in because of the treatment at another facility. While going over their care another person came in where we were meeting and began talking about their loved one that they wanted moved here. I told them that I would go do an on site visit as soon as possible and take them if I could. While finishing my conversation with the other family found out they had some medical issues I was not aware of and had to make arrangements for. After that I started putting their orders on and placed a call to our physician. When our physician called I was told that they didn't know when they could get in they were short staffed (OMG). I finished the orders on the resident and when I tried to print them off I could not find them in the computer. After about 20 minutes finally discovered that the name was entered wrong by the social worker. That being done I completed the assessment and charted and was able to leave just before 8PM.In between all of this I got several questions from the nurse, NA's and had to explain this all to my boss.

1 comment:

  1. I would love to hear about other managers problems and issues.

    ReplyDelete