Thursday, August 29, 2013

Another Typical Day as a Nursing Home Administrator

Today I decided to go into work a little later because I knew the doctor would be in the building (I am also the Director of Nursing, That's a whole other blog story)and I would have to stay late to put orders on the computer. I got there about 9:30. The parking lot was full. There were 2 people doing the resident satisfaction survey in the building (in the middle of all that was going on). The fire people were there testing the smoked detectors so they were setting them all off throughout the building. The doctor was there. Carpet people were there putting down carpet on one of the units and the dietician was there doing her visit. After about the 5th alarm going off I finally quit jumping a foot in the air. I was sitting in my office and a resident down the hall turned his TV up as loud as it would go. I went to the door and had to yell to be heard and asked him to turn his TV down and he began screaming at me that he would when that noise stopped. The satisfaction people are talking to residents that are very confused (because they have to ask everyone). One resident is telling them I don't want to talk to you. Another resident is over heard saying ( I can't wait till they hear what I told them). The nurse aide I hired or thought I hired failed to show up for her physical. Of course I need to fill 2 nurse aide positions. I worked for an hour putting new notebooks together for the nursing unit to make them look neater and more professional but couldn't get on the computer to make my labels until later just to find that someone had written on one with permanent maker instead of letting me label it. Finally, a resident tells me that he overheard someone calling him a liar that morning (of course before he was questioned about his satisfaction with the facility). Well I am not going to hold my breath that our satisfaction survey results will be very good. At least the day went quickly and I finally left at 6:30PM.

No comments:

Post a Comment